Here is ADB-Japan Scholarship Program for Developing Countries in Asia and Pacific – open for application. Interested and qualified candidates are expected to check the scholarship guidelines below for eligibility, requirement, and how to apply.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is currently accepting applications for its Japan Scholarship Program (JSP). The ADB-JSP aims to provide an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to pursue postgraduate studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asian and Pacific Region.
The ADB-JSP enrolls about 300 students annually in participating academic institutions located in 10 countries within the region. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The ADB-JSP provides full scholarships for one to two years.
Important things to note
- No separate application to ADB is necessary.
- The duly accomplished applications form together with all copies of academic records should be sent to the institution at least six (6) months before the commencement of the intake that you wish to join.
- Only candidates who have been offered admission and endorsed by the academic institutions will be considered for the scholarships by the ADB.
- The ADB-JSP does not cover expenses for the scholar’s family; extra-curricular courses or training; additional travel during the course of the study program; additional expenses related to supplementary educational materials, field trips, or participation in workshops, seminars, or internships while at the academic institution or purchase of educational equipment such as computers.
- Completion of the application form or admission by the academic institution does not mean that you have been accepted for a scholarship; accordingly you should not take any action with respect to your current employment or otherwise, until you have been informed by the institution that you have been awarded a scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria ADB-Japan Scholarship Program for Developing Countries in Asia and Pacific
1. A national of an ADB borrowing member country (applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship).
2. Gained admission to an approved MA/PhD course at an academic institution .
3. A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record.
4. At least two (2) years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application. Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
5. Not more than 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs which are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years old.
6. In good health.
7. Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
8. Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
9. Staff of academic institutions are not eligible for the Scholarship.
10. Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
11. ADB-JSP does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
12. ADB-JSP does not sponsor undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
How candidates are selected for the scholarship
The academic institution will screen and rank the applicants, based on its own selection criteria, keeping in view the eligibility requirements and selection criteria of the ADB. In the evaluation process, the academic institution may contact the candidates for further information. The academic institution will then submit its ranked list of applicants to ADB, including a description of the score/grading system which is the basis for the ranking.
ADB will review the submission from the academic institutions and recommend awardees based on the selection criteria of ADB to the Executive Director of Japan for formal approval.
Upon approval by the Executive Director of Japan, ADB will advise academic institutions on the successful candidates.
The academic institution will inform all applicants of the outcome of the selection process and begin to make arrangements for the awardees take up their scholarships.
The academic institutions will arrange for the signing of the acceptance of scholarship award by awardee wherein the scholars agree that after completion of their study, they will return to their home country.
ADB will send an appropriate congratulatory letter to scholars through the university.
The ADB-JSP provides full tuition fees, a monthly subsistence and housing allowance, an allowance for books and instructional materials, medical insurance, and travel expenses.
The scholarship is for one year with an extension to the second year of study, as appropriate, which shall be conditional on the scholar maintaining a satisfactory level of performance as determined by the institute. The maximum duration of scholarship award is two years for masters and doctorate programs.
How to Apply for ADB-Japan Scholarship Program for Developing Countries in Asia and Pacific
Applicants should request information and application forms from the chosen Academic Institution(s). Applicants should indicate to the academic institution that they are applying for admission and that they would like to be considered for the ADB-JSP Scholarship. The completed Institution application form and required documentation, including the ADB-JSP Information Sheet form, should be submitted to the academic institution.
For more information, please visit ADB-JSP call for Applications.
Other Important Scholarships for 2023
- Denys Holland Scholarship 2023 Application Guide
- Fairleigh Dickinson University Scholarships 2023 Application Guide
- University of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship 2023 Application Guide
- Islamic University Madinah Scholarship 2023 Application Guide
- David Skriloff Scholarship Application 2023 (For United State Institutions)
Check and apply for other Scholarships on our website.
We trust that we were able to give you all the information you required regarding this scholarship. Please leave any questions you may have in the space provided below.