Here is Australia Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarships – open for application. Interested and qualified candidates are expected to check the scholarship guidelines below for eligibility, requirement, and how to apply.
The Research Training Program (RTP) provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to higher education providers (HEPs) to support both domestic and overseas students undertaking research doctorate and research masters degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
On 31 December 2016, the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) ceased and was replaced by the Research Training Program (RTP) from 1 January 2017. The RTP provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to higher education providers (HEPs) to support both domestic and overseas students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters’s degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
The objectives of the Australia Research Training Program RTP Scholarships scheme are to:
- provide flexible funding arrangements to support the training of domestic students and overseas students undertaking HDRs at Australian HEPs
- deliver graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and other sectors of the labour market
- support collaboration between HEPs and industry, and other research end-users
- support overseas students undertaking HDR studies at Australian HEPs.
Students can be offered RTP Scholarships for one or more of the following:
- tuition fees offset
- stipend for general living costs
- allowances related to the ancillary cost of research degrees.
Research masters students – period of support
RTP Scholarships are available to domestic and overseas students enrolled in an accredited HDR course at an Australian HEP. RTP Scholarships are available for a maximum period of 2 years for a research master’s degree. Under temporary arrangements enacted in 2020 to reduce the impacts of COVID-19, this maximum period was extended to 2 years and 6 months (full-time students), at the discretion of HEPs.
Research doctorate students – period of support
RTP Scholarships are available for a research doctorate degree for a minimum of 3 years, up to a maximum of 4 years, at the discretion of the HEP. Under temporary arrangements enacted in 2020 to reduce impacts of COVID-19, this maximum period was extended to 4 years and 6 months (full-time students), at the discretion of HEPs.
RTP funding is administered by individual HEPs who each have their own application and selection process. Students need to contact their chosen provider directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme.
RTP Frequently Asked Questions for students are available.
Information on commencing a postgraduate research degree HDR courses can be found on the Quality Indicators for Learning and teaching website. General information about support arrangements that may be available to students can be viewed at the StudyAssist website.
For HEP administrators, RTP Frequently Asked Questions for administrators are available.
Guidelines, conditions, and calculations
Australian Government funding is provided through annual research block grants to eligible Australian HEPs in accordance with section 46-20 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA).
The Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017 provide the legislative basis for the provision of funding to this program and prescribes the conditions that apply to RTP grant amounts.
The 2023 RTP grant amounts allocated to participating providers is based on a formula that is reflective of their overall research performance.
A detailed guide to calculating RTP grant amounts is available.
Research Training Program stipend rates
Each year, the range for RTP stipend rates for the following year will be announced by 1 October. The RTP stipend rate range is effective from 1 January. The table below details current and recent RTP stipend rates.
RTP Stipend Rates
|Year||Full-time base RTP stipend rate ($)||Full-time max RTP stipend rate ($)|
Scholarship value for RTP Scholarships scheme are to:
Under RTP, a University provides one or more of the following types of support to an RTP Scholarship recipient:
- • An RTP Fees Offset pays for the tuition fees of a higher degree by a research (HDR) student that would otherwise have been paid by the student. This requires that a university fully offset the tuition fee applicable to a student. This is not a stipend.
- • An RTP Stipend to assist students with their living costs while undertaking a higher degree through research.
- • RTP Allowances to assist students with ancillary costs of a higher degree by research (HDR). This includes relocation costs to undertake an HDR, HDR thesis printing and academic publication costs, and health cover costs for recipients and their dependents.
RTP scholarships are available for a maximum period of two years for a research master’s OR a minimum of three years, up to a maximum of four years (at the discretion of the HEP) for a research doctorate degree.
Student Eligibile for Australia Research Training Program RTP Scholarships
To be eligible for an RTP Stipend, RTP Fees Offset, or RTP Allowance, a student must be a domestic student or an overseas student enrolled in an accredited HDR course of study at an Australian HEP. The basic eligibility criteria for an RTP are listed in Section 1.5 of the Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017.
Applications for RTP Scholarships need to be made directly to participating universities. Each university has its own application and selection process, please contact your chosen university directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme. The deadline varies per university but is around April-October each year.
It is important to read the Frequently Asked Questions and visit the website of the University where you intend to apply and the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.education.gov.au/research-training-program
Other Important Scholarships for 2023
- Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center Internships 2023 Application
- KAUST Internship 2023 Application Process | Fully Funded
- CERN Internship for Students with Disabilities 2023 Application Guide
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships 2023 Application Guide
- NATO Defense College Fellowships 2023 Application Guide
Check and apply for other Scholarships on our website.
We trust that we were able to give you all the information you required regarding this scholarship. Please leave any questions you may have in the space provided below.